Sunday, June 19, 2011

Happy Father's Day!

At this time, I would like to say a great big Happy Father's Day to all the fathers I know, and specifically to my father Paul, a man who has been through a lot and keeps on keeping on.

Whether it was getting me to push myself on the grass to train for track competitions when I was a kid, or singlehandedly commandeering a walker to outfit it with skis so that I could cross-country ski in Rundle Park, my father always made sure that I had unique experiences when growing up, even though I had a disability.

It's only when we reach adulthood that we realize just what our parents gave up to give us the material and non-material things we cherish. I remember that it used to bug Dad when we'd be in a store and a clerk would go, "Oh, you're in a wheelchair. Would you like a candy?"

Since I was seven or eight at the time, what do you think I said?

But now I understand why it bugged Dad. Because now that kind of societal thinking bugs me.

So thank you Dad, for that lesson, and countless others.

I love you.

Your son,
Michel

No comments:

Post a Comment