Thursday, October 9, 2014

Oilers Reunion






This press conference at Rexall Place today for the 30th anniversary of the 1984 Stanley Cup win of the Edmonton Oilers shows the kind of team togetherness and  sage coaching (just relax and go do it...after mastering the fundamentals, of course) that is needed in order to bring the current team up to speed in a couple of years. I say two because I don't think five more years is an option. The new toy downtown needs to start paying for itself quicker than that, I would think.


Also, does new coach Dallas Eakins have the time to get to know his players as people, particularly the younger ones? Does he particularly care about that aspect of things? I seem to recall, in an interview on the seminal Boys On The Bus video, that Glen Sather said he went out of his way to introduce his young team to fine dining and culture, believing that it would make them well-rounded individuals and thus a more unified team.

Mr Wayne Gretzky: I was and remain in awe of all that you accomplished while in Edmonton and elsewhere (come to think of it, that goes for all of you). Let me assure you all that myself and a significant portion of the City of Edmonton are as happy that you're here as you are to be here. Thank you all, and have fun!


Your Partner In Life

No comments:

Post a Comment